The J-1 visa to the United States Of America

Visa and passport displayed in close-up

The J-1 visa for the United States, also known as the Exchange Visitor visa, is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States for individuals who wish to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, lecturing, studying, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training or higher medical education.

As part of the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as program sponsors for the exchange. Consequently, non-immigrants in the J-1 category are sponsored, and these programs are designed to promote the exchange of individuals, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences.

Individuals with a J-1 visa have the opportunity to visit the United States for a specific period to complete their education or participate in training programs before returning to their home countries. These individuals also have the chance to experience American culture, strengthen their English language skills, and gain new experiences. Examples of an exchange visitor visa include the following:

  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • Students
  • Trainees
  • Teachers
  • Specialists

Categories for applying for J-1 visa to the United States

The prominent categories eligible to apply for the J-1 visa to the United States include:

  • Researchers

Through this category, the exchange of ideas and scientific research collaboration between research institutions and academic institutions in the U.S. and other countries is supported.

  • Resident internes 

Holders of academic, professional, or experienced certificates can visit the U.S., experience American culture, and get the opportunity for training in U.S. facilities and companies through participating in organized training programs in the labor market.

  • Trainee students

University students and graduates can visit the United States and participate in specialized training programs according to their respective professions.

  • University and college students

Students have the opportunity to study in American secondary education institutions or participate in their own training programs to achieve educational goals outlined in their home countries.

  • Teachers

Teachers visit the U.S. to participate in educational programs in elementary, secondary schools, or pre-kindergarten programs in the United States.

  • High school students

High school students can study in accredited and pre-approved high schools and live with host families in the U.S.

  • Physicians

Graduates in the field of medicine visit the United States to participate in educational and training programs in the medical field.

  • Camp counsellors

Some students and youth visit the U.S. to participate in youth camp programs.

  • Government visitors (Public sector category)

This category is designed to enable visitors to the U.S. to exchange experiences and skills in U.S. government institutions and organizations.

Although the J-1 visa for the United States offers many advantages, it provides temporary residence unlike other programs, such as the EB-5 U.S. Immigrant Investor Program, which provides permanent residence for immigrants to the U.S. The EB-5 program does not require the applicant to have practical work experience, proficiency in the English language, or a specific educational level.

If you are interested in obtaining permanent residence in the United States through investment, you can contact us by clicking on the link here.