How can you sponsor your Spouse to obtain permanent residency in Canada?

A couple smiling in front of a Canadian flag, capturing a joyful moment together

Requirements for Spousal Sponsorship in Canada

As a resident or citizen of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse for the purpose of residency, work, or visitation, as long as you meet the requirements for spousal sponsorship in Canada. Through this program, individuals can sponsor their partners and spouses, assisting them in obtaining permanent residency in Canada, which may eventually lead to Canadian citizenship under specific conditions.

To qualify for spousal sponsorship, you must meet the following requirements:

  • The sponsored individual must be 18 years old or older.
  • The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who is living inside Canada.
  • The sponsor should not be receiving any social assistance from Canadian authorities.
  • In case the sponsor was a Canadian citizen residing outside Canada, proof must be provided that the sponsor plans to live in Canada when the sponsored individual becomes a permanent resident, 
  • The sponsor must not be receiving any social assistance from Canadian authorities.
  • If the sponsor had previously sponsored an application of sponsorship, 3 years must have been passed since the sponsored individual received their permanent residency.
  • The sponsor must provide the basic needs including the financial needs for the sponsored individual.
  • In cases where sponsorship is based on marriage, the marriage must be legal.
  • The relationship between the sponsor and the sponsored individual must have lasted for at least 12 continuous months, in the case of a partnership between the applicants.

Applying for Spousal Sponsorship to Canada

Applicants for this program must submit two applications:

  • Sponsorship Application

The applicant obtains government approval as a sponsor.

  • Permanent Residence Application

An application for permanent residency for the sponsored individual is submitted to the Canadian Department of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC).

If you are interested in permanent residency in Canada through investment, you can contact Reach Immigration to book a free consultation by clicking here.

86 Reviews